Skip to main content

Tears


There in the distance a faint glow - a red flickering ball in the blue sky above.

I see black smoke rising and a whisper of men and women screaming resounds in my ears.


“Where am I?” I wonder, scoping my surroundings in curiosity.


The floor is tinted in a bluish gray - the ground I’m seated on feels hard.


I look to my right and see a steep hill rising. There are lush greens on the top, but the rising is a deep brown.


“Uh- ah-”


A tiny voice awakens left to me. I turn around and am amazed.


There is a small girl lying just next to me dressed in an all gray gown.


I observe her for a moment. I wonder if she’s alright.


“Who are you little girl?” I ask her. Maybe I should have started with how are you doing, but my curiosity got the better of me.


“Where-” she starts “am I? Who are you? What!”


She stops in mid-sentence as she catches a glimpse of her clothing.


“WHAT HAPPENED TO MY DRESS!” she calls out to me.


“Calm down, will you? How should I know, I’m just as surprised as you are. One moment I’m in the market buying some fish, the next I’m here lying next to you!” I explain.


Well this is awkward. How could this even happen?


“My mum, where is my mum?” the little girl says while fervently looking all around her.


“HEY!” I say in a slight louder tone. “Calm down already!”


“But, but my mom, she was just holding my hand!”


“And the next moment you found yourself here. I know. Same thing happened to me. So let’s be calm and try to figure this out, OK? For starters, what’s your name?” I said.


“O-OK!” she says. Her voice gives away the rising insecurity.


“M-m-my n-name i-is Leya!”


Leya huh, doesn’t sound like she’s from around the same part of the world as I am - or was.


“Leya, look at me. Leya, we’ll figure this out, OK? We’ll get you back to your Mom. My name is Srax.”


As I try to calm Leya, an interesting thought occurs to me. Why the hell am I so calm about all this? Maybe I’m trying to act calm and am really freaking out on the inside. Maybe it’s because of Leya, a little girl all alone and afraid, maybe I feel I have to be courageous for her. That’s the mature thing to do. Or at least I think it is.


The red ball of light is still up in the air, it’s luminescence is really powerful I think to myself.


Suddenly, the sky turns red and I surprise I rise to my feet. “Get up!” I implore Leya and she instantly lifts herself from the ground as well.


“Follow me Leya and stay close, will you?” I command her.


Our front view reveals nothing but the red sky. I imagine we must be on high ground.


An unexplained fear grabs hold of me. This sudden change in color of the sky can’t mean anything good. I rush forward with Leya and soon find an edge, an end to the road you might say. Carefully I lie down and try measure how high up we are. But -


THERE IS NO GROUND! It seems like we are floating on a rock in the air.


“What! This can’t be! How!” I rumble in front of Leya.


“What is it mister, what’s the matter?” she asks frightfully.


“N-nothing. Don’t look down, OK? You might slip.” I say. I can’t have her freaking out about this now.


“Let’s try the hill. Let’s climb it, huh?” I say and drag her along with me.


After a good while we reach the top. I expect to see some settlement, because of the voices I heard, but then it strikes me.


“Wait, wait, wait…” I mumble in shock. “But the smoke screen, it didn’t come form this direction, it came from the other side. But there is nothing there. How- how could this be!”


My eyes open wide and now I’m totally fear struck.


“How- WHERE-” I start to myself.


“WHERE THE HELL ARE WE!” I finally scream. Leya tries to escape my firm grip, but I don’t let her.


“Leya, I’m sorry, d-did I make you afraid?”


Come to your senses man! Don’t let yourself go crazy - that girl needs you.


“Please mister” she says. Her eyes are teary. She’s about to cry. “Please mister, I want to go to my mom!”


“I know… I know… I’ll do my best, I promise!”


The luminescence of the red ball in the sky gets stronger and stronger, I can feel its power.


When I turn to have another look at it, I’m surprised to see that it has shrunk in size.


“How can that be?” I whisper to myself. I am frightened. For some reason I know that we won’t make it off her alive.


And then, without a warning, the red ball expands rapidly in an instant. It’s getting hotter and the surroundings start to shake.


“Leya… come her Leya, don’t be afraid” I say to her and take her in my arms. I gently stroke her had. Are these tears welling up in my eyes?


“All we’ll be fine. You’ll soon see your mother.” I say to her. I try to smile as best as I can. The shaking gets more and more violent. The air is literally burning.


“Mister, mister!” she whispers to me.


“Yes, dear!” I answer her.


“C-can you hear them, too? The voices? Can you?” she asks me.


Voices? Does she mean the screams I was hearing when I woke up?


She drags on my arm. She wants to ask me yet another thing.


“Yes, what is it dear?” I say, trying to avoid giving away the fact that we’re about to die.


“Mister Srax… it’s so hot, I have trouble breathing” she says. She seems exhausted and tired.


I once more stroke her hair gently. “I know, I have trouble breathing, too.”


“Mister” she says one last time.


“Yes” I answer.


“Why are you crying, Mister?”


In a sudden we’re covered in white light, the rock under our feet tore apart and just as I was thinking we were falling, everything ceased.


We were dead.


I knew I was dead. That was strange.


But then I suddenly woke up and found myself on the floor right next to the stand I was buying fish from earlier.


I looked around me, desperately seeking for Leya. But she wasn’t here.


Still in shock, I tried to focus.


I wondered, was all of it a dream?


It didn’t feel like a dream.


The pain was all too real.


I slowly rose up to my feet. The people all looked at me disapprovingly. But I didn’t care. I just wanted to head home as soon as possible.


The moment I was on my feet though, I felt some wetness on my chest.


My top had tear marks all all over.


I reached with my hands to my cheeks to check if I had been crying, but my face was dry.


Those were someone else’s tears.


Those were Leya’s tears…



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A cycle of introspection

A voice from deep within asked him: "What is it that makes you whole?" In an empty desert, on a path chosen long ago, he stopped for a moment. He didn't wonder who the voice belonged to, he already knew. He always knew when his conscience was talking. As always, it kept taunting him or at least he thought it was. "I've given up on being whole long ago, I've accepted it... to be broken, to have fallen..." His voice was weary, tired even. Not from the endless walking, but from this ever repeating cycle of questioning. In a way, his answer felt rehearsed. This didn't justify thinking, so he didn't. An auto-response to an auto-generated series of questions. He had no answers, so why bother. "Must be nice, running away, avoiding the difficult questions, but there is an obvious flaw in your reasoning." Sometimes it scared him, this invisible voice. Ever so often, it would try to break the cycle by approaching him from new angles.

A mix of thoughts

Do you feel the sun rise in the morning or do you lament the fall of the moon? A curious journey through the flow of time, bouncing off the wrinkles of this old sphere, our temporary home - the blue planet. Have you gone out today, breathed in the fresh air of spring? The cleansing air touches your lungs and triggers a new sensation within - you feel alive once more; and once more your woes vanish into thin air. The ground we stand and walk upon, a mix of earth and seeds of life. There exists another world, on a different scale and with another purpose. A plain field of grass I desire, a horse and a saddle, to ride towards the horizon, discover, breath and rise to new heights with my soul. I am a free man; no human shall dare to bind me. I will tear apart the chains of bondage and rise my hands towards the sky. For this world and the life forms on it are my responsibility. A scream into the empty space in front of me, a cry for help or a call for charge? Everything we do,